George Floyd protesters undeterred by US curfews

Thousands protest for sixth night as outrage over police brutality intensifies across US, and worldwide.

  • Protests continue to spread as more cities impose curfews and states call in the National Guard. 
  • Protesters remain undeterred by curfews and National Guard
  • Demonstrators in Minneapolis, Minnesota, continue to demand all officers involved in Floyd’s death be charged. 
  • Large truck drives into protesters in Minneapolis, sending march-goers running and jumping over barricades. No serious injuries were report. The truck driver has been arrested. 

Thousands of New Zealanders marched peacefully chanting “Black Lives Matter” over last week’s death of George Floyd under police custody.

Protesters in New Zealand’s Auckland city sat on the road after their peaceful march as they raised clenched fists in a sign of unity, solidarity and Black Power.

Social media posts showed demonstrators outside the American Consulate in Auckland wielding posters that read “Justice For George Floyd” and “Are We Next?”.

In the capital Wellington, more than 100 people walked from New Zealand’s parliament building to the American Embassy, chanting “Black Lives Matter”.

A candlelight vigil is also being planned in Wellington on Monday evening.

06:45 GMT – Trump took shelter in White House bunker as protests raged

Secret Service agents rushed President Donald Trump to a White House bunker on Friday night as hundreds of protesters gathered outside the executive mansion, some of them throwing rocks and tugging at police barricades.

Trump spent nearly an hour in the bunker, which was designed for use in emergencies like terrorist attacks, according to a Republican close to the White House who was not authorised to publicly discuss private matters and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The abrupt decision by the agents underscored the rattled mood inside the White House, where the chants from protesters in Lafayette Park could be heard all weekend and Secret Service agents and law enforcement officers struggled to contain the crowds.

06:25 GMT – Tear gas used to clear Washington, DC protesters

An hour before the 11pm  (03:00 GMT) curfew in Washington, DC on Sunday night, police fired a major barrage of tear gas and stun grenades into the crowd of more than 1,000 people, largely clearing Lafayette Park across the street from the White House and scattering protesters into the street.

Protesters piled up road signs and plastic barriers and lit a raging fire in the middle of H Street.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.